Search Engine is a program which stores information about web pages on the WWW (World Wide Web). Information about web pages is stored in index databases. When a user types any queries in the search engine, then it looks up the stored index database and provides the best matching web page to the user. Here is the point. To maximize the earning you have to get traffic as much as possible. More traffic means more money and SE has potential to send lots of traffic to your web site. But for that you have to optimize your website for search engine. SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization”. SEO is a method of improving website ranking in search engine index database. Better the SE ranking, your page is likely to appear in first few pages of search result. That means more traffic to your website. The following are a few tips which can help you to dramatically improve the ranking of your website in SERP (i.e. SE Result Page) and increase the traffic to your web site.
1. Select Appropriate & Competitive Keyword: There are many sites on the internet that can help you to look for appropriate and competitive keywords for your website. For example, you can use Overture.
2. Use Primary Keyword in File Names: Although, this has little effect. But you should use keyword in naming your HTML file names. Do it for every page of your website.
3. Use Primary Keywords in Page Tile: Always use keywords in Page title because most of the search engine looks for it in the title of the page. You should use the keyword which you are going to use for that particular page of your website. Do it for every page of your website.
4. Use Primary Keyword in Meta Tags: Always use Primary keywords of your web page in the Description Meta Tags and Keyword Meta Tags of your web page. Do it for every web page of your website. But limit the number of characters to 25 and 1000 for Description Meta Tags and Keyword Meta Tags. In addition to that, don’t repeat a keyword for more than 3 times in Keyword Meta Tag.
5. Use Header for Primary Keywords: The first heading in the body should contain the primary keyword. This can be H1, H2, or H3 tags in HTML where 1, 2, 3 indicate the size of the font for the heading.
6. Use Moderate Number of Keyword in Body: Your keyword should appear on the top of body under Header Tag and it should repeat for moderate number of times in the body. Too few occurrences of keyword will not help you and too many occurrences can be considered as “keyword spamming”.
7. Content is the King: Remember People visit your site for information. Information means content. So always use unique content for your site. You can get lot of content free on the web but those will not help your site in Search Engine Ranking Page (SERP). It is simply because the same content may have been used by another site because it is free. In addition to that, many Search Engines may penalize your site for using duplicate content.
8. Get Effective Backward Link to your website: Make sure to trade links with website that are related to your website subject. It makes no sense to trade links with an entertainment site if your website is related to Automobile. The more closely the links on your site are related to your site, the better the chances of being ranked well in SE. In addition to that, stay away from link exchange sites.
9. Use Links Containing Keywords: While using links, your keyword should appear in the text of a text link on the page. Use it to incorporate keywords or phrases to increase your keyword count. SEs do consider these and this will help you in SE page ranking.
10. Use Image Alt Tag: If you are using images in your website then never forget to include a text description of that image in the alt tag. These tags can be used to incorporate keywords or phrases. It will help you to increase keyword counts. Search engines do consider alt tags in their SERP.
11. Dynamic Vs Static Web Pages: If your website is static then it will be indexed easily by Search engine. But if it is Dynamic the Search Engines will have difficulties to spider and understand them. You should really look for techniques which can help you solve that problem. For example, you can use Mod Rewrite if you are using Apache Web Server. That may help you solve that problem. That Generates Static HTML Pages.
12. Update Your Site Regularly: Search Engines love growing sites. So Keep adding contents to your site as much as possible and update it for even small changes you do. Search Engines give better rankings to sites that update their site contents often.
13. Use Sitemap: Always add Site-Map Button and include all the pages of your site in that page so that spider can find and index them.
14. Site Maturity: If your wallet gives you permission, register you Domain Name for 5 years at least. Page ranking also depends upon the maturity of the site. Older site gets better rankings and will have more indexed pages.
15. Add ROR & Robots.txt: ROR gives information about site and it is in XML. Generate an ROR file for your site, and then paste a button to the main page of your website. When the Search Engines spider your site, they’ll spider this file and have a better description of what your site is about. Also create a robots.txt file because this will tell the search engines what not to spider on your site.
16. Submit your site to Directories: Manually submit your site to different directories with different description & categories. This one convinces the search engine that you have submitted the site manually. Hence, Search Engine will not penalize your site for automated submission by Software. Submitting to DMOZ Directory and Yahoo Directory will help you a lot. DMOZ Directory is Open Source Directory and on the other hand, Yahoo Directory is paid one except for non-commercial site. Please don’t submit your site to DMOZ and Yahoo Directory unless it is fully ready.
17. Submit Your Site to Search Engines: You can submit your website to many search engines for free. Try adding your site to 3 major search engines – Google, Yahoo and MSN manually.
The above mentioned tips present good,and solid way to optimize your website for different search engines. There are few things which I would like to mention you should avoid doing:
1. Avoid Automated Submission: Avoid using automated submission to search Engines. Search Engine may penalize your site for using automated submission tools.
2. Avoid Repetitive submissions: Repetitive submissions don’t improve the ranking of your site in search engine.
3. Avoid Black Hat SEO tricks: Avoid using the text that is same as background once used by Black Hat SEO. This was used to increase the keyword count without displaying the text to actual viewers. You site will be surely get penalized for that if you use this trick in your site.
4. Avoid Frames, Flash and Java: Avoid using Frames, Flash and Java in your Web Page. Search Engine finds them difficult to understand.
5. Avoid Meta Refresh Command: Avoid using Meta Refresh command to automatically direct a web page to another.
6. Avoid Broken Links, Broken Images & Under Construction Pages: Search Engines hate broken links, broken images and under construction Pages. So check your site for all these things before you submit it to anywhere.